Genesis Covenant Church is dedicated to doing God’s work and believes in discipleship and aiding the community. Each quarter we choose a new needs-based initiative. Last quarter, we blessed 100 homeless men with backpacks containing socks, water, masks, etc., and also donated eight pallets of water during the water crisis in Mississippi. This quarter, My Sister’s Place (MSP), an organization that shelters, supports, and empowers survivors of domestic violence and their children, was our focus. According to statistics, one in four women is abused by an intimate partner or husband. The church’s goal is to support these women and children by supplying hygiene, sanitary, baby’s needs, and essential day-to-day products, which will remove some of the burdens of the mothers and allow them to focus on healing and successfully moving forward with their lives.
Saturday, July 17, 2021, from 10:00 a.m. until 2:00 p.m., many descended upon the RR & BBB Farm in Upper Marlboro, MD, bringing Vaseline, diapers, coats, socks, wipes, deodorant, books, and a plethora of additional offerings. Genesis Covenant Church was able to fill three trucks and three conference rooms. Participants were excited to donate, and even as we approach the three-week mark since the event, items are still coming in.
For over 40 years, My Sister’s Place has had a huge impact on the community and families they serve (see below).
Impact in FY 2020
- 142 Survivors were provided with safe secure emergency shelter.
- 97 Survivors transitioned from shelter to transitional or permanent housing.
- 108 Safety plans and 148 financial and budgeting plans created for survivors.
- 134 Survivors served in the Family Rehousing and Stabilization Program (FRSP).
- 12 Domestic Violence and Bystander Intervention trainings to 190 community participants.
- 39 Weekly DV resource clinics held in the community.
As Genesis Covenant Church moves forward in our quest to ‘make learning to love the joy of life,’ be on the lookout for next quarter’s initiative. We appreciate all who were able to participate physically as well as those who gave monetarily. Genesis will purchase additional items with the funds donated.
Peace & Blessings, Sister LaVerne N. Knight